These permits are granted by the Home Affair Offices upon entry for purposes of holiday and business for a period not exceeding 3 months. They may be extended once for a further period of 3 months only.
Passport Holders who are exempt from Visa from South Africa
The citizen who is a holder of a national passport (diplomatic, official and ordinary) of the foreign countries / territories / international organizations listed below are not required to hold a visa when reporting to an immigration officer for an examination at a South African port of entry, subject to the terms and conditions set out in this list, including inter alia the intended period of stay in the Republic.
1. The holder of a national South African passport, travel document and document for travel purposes.
2. The citizen who is a holder of a national passport (diplomatic, official or ordinary) of the following countries / territories / international organizations is not required to hold a visa in respect of purposes for which a visitor?s permit may be issued or by virtue of being a person contemplated in section 31(3)(b) [diplomatic & official visit] for an intended stay of 90 days or less and when in transit:
- African Union / Unity Laissez Passer
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- St Vincent & the Grenadines
- United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, British Islands Bailiwick of Guernsey and Jersey, Isle of Man and Virgin Islands.
- Republic of Ireland
- British Oversees Territories who are in possession of British passports namely: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, St Helena and Dependencies (Ascension Island, Gough Island and Tristan da Cunha), Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands, the Sovereign Base Areas on Cyprus South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands and the Turks and Caicos Island.
- United States of America
3. The citizen who is a holder of a national passport (diplomatic, official and ordinary) of the following countries / territories / international organisations is not required to hold a visa in respect of purposes for which a visitor?s permit may be issued or by virtue of being a person contemplated in section 31(3)(b) [diplomatic & official visit] for an intended stay of 30 days or less and when in transit:
4. Agreements have also been concluded with the following countries for holders of diplomatic and official passport holders. Citizens who are holders of diplomatic, official and service passports of the following countries do not require visas in respect of purposes for which a visitor?s permit may be issued or by virtue of being a person contemplated in section 31(3)(b) [diplomatic & official visit] for the period indicated and transit:
5. Notwithstanding this Schedule, a foreigner whose visa exemption has been withdrawn shall comply with the visa requirements until notified by the Department that his or her visa exemption has been re-instated by the Department on petition or of its own accord.
6. Visas are not required by passport holders of Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Malawi who are entering the Republic as commercial heavy-duty vehicle drivers provide their visits do not exceed 15 days and on condition that they can produce a letter confirming their employment with a transport company on entry.
Should you be needing to travel to any country from SA we will be willing to assist you with the application process for Visitors visas or Business Visitors visas. Please note our office does not do EMMIGRATION.